Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Bicycles and Football. I’m now a month into my two or three days a week cycle to the London office and I’ve noticed a few things. My first impression of it being an extreme sport was spot on, nothing gives way to you unless you stick yourselves in the way and then of course you’re in danger of a ‘Sorry mate, didn’t see you.” Buses should be treated as giant slow moving obstacles but as they stop every 500 yards they don’t present much of a problem. To car drivers, especially mothers in 4x4s on the school run, you are invisible so you have to ‘treat them all as idiots’ as a motorcycle tutor once told me. Actually his language was a bit fruitier than that, but as this is a family blog I thought I’d spare peoples blushes. But it’s cabbies who seem to be actually out to get you, however I think this might have something to do with the fact that they assume all people on two wheels are couriers and they get a bounty for everyone they knock over! I’ve had a couple of occasions where ‘non standard manoeuvres’ have been required but nothing drastic. I noticed that Arsenal fielded a team without any UK passport holders last night against Crystal Palace. It was claimed to be the first time this has happened in the English Premiership, but didn’t Chelsea do this a couple of seasons ago or was that an FA cup game so didn’t count? Dazza will know. Now this raises a bigger question. If teams can easily do this, especially the top teams with large squads, and as big money men like Chelsea’s Abramovich and Man Utd’s soon to be owner Malcolm Glazer buy up more and more of the game; how long can it be before the European Super League rears it’s head again and like American Football franchises, teams can move wherever they like? It’s not as mad as idea as you might think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home