Monday, July 14, 2003

If you work in the IT industry and don't live under a rock and I do know people who fit that description, you can't have missed the on going handbagging between Oracle and Peoplesoft. What had started as your usual corporate take over has turned in to personal slanging match between Larry Ellison and Craig Conway and here's some of the highlights I've stumbled across. It's an object lesson into the sophisticated nature of modern business. "If I said to you, 'I'll give you $10 for your dog and then I'll shoot it,' what would you do? Would it make any difference if I offered you $20?" Conway after Ellison's stated that the PeopleSoft product would be discontinued. "I think Craigy thought at one point that I was going to shoot his dog. I love animals. If Craigy and (Craig's dog) were standing next to each other, and I only had one bullet, trust me, it wouldn't be for the dog." Larry Ellison "Best of Breed is dead, except for at dog shows." Ellison commenting earlier in this saga to push his company's single source message and respond to some bantering between he and Siebel. "There is no condition that I can even remotely imagine where PeopleSoft would be sold to Oracle" Conway to the Associated Press the day after Oracle's initial announcement of $16 per share. "atrociously bad behavior from a company with a history of atrociously bad behavior." Conway "I think Larry saw a wedding, and he showed up with a shotgun because he didn't get invited. It's a page straight out of Genghis Khan." Conway "Larry Ellison, the bearded billionaire behind the software giant Oracle, is a trash-talking, mildly ridiculous, Zen-Master wannabe." The Sunday Telegraph "Craig has said a lot of unpleasant things about me. I don't think I've ever said anything unpleasant about Craig. But that's fine. This is not personal. It's about growing Oracle's business." Ellison "And the No. 1 way PeopleSoft would be different if run by 10-year-olds: CEO would finally be able to relate to Larry Ellison on his level." Internal Peoplesoft document One day these people will learn...on second thoughts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home