Thursday, May 01, 2003

I just want to say thanks to the kind comments from the lads at the UK Technology Group at Lotus, they mean a lot to me. I know for a few of you with a an even more religious approach to Lotus than me my move to Microsoft is an odd one but I lost my faith in IBM as an employer. When a company askes for loyality it should at least attempt to reciprocate. IBM has some great technology, mostly as it turns out to have a Lotus logo on the outside, but it isn't enough. When I go to work I want to feel that the it cares about me and the team I work with, it should not try and measure the meaning out of everything I do so my success or failure is judged by a few numbers on a spreadsheet. The team of people I worked with at Lotus are a talented bunch, yes you are guys and don't forget it, but they are wasted hamstrung by a system that neither cares nor wants to. I don't blame IBM per se, it's rather like the story of the scorpion and the fox. It's in the nature of the scorpion to sting the fox even though it was helping it cross the river and so it is the nature of IBM to waste talened people and drive them away. It's just easier to do than keep them. They forget however that there is a reason why Lotus has so many customers and creates as many religous zealots as Microsoft do. It's the people stupid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home