Tuesday, November 30, 2004

I think if I’ve mentioned this before but if someone can come up with a cure for jetlag I’d be their first customer. Whilst I enjoy coming to Redmond the body clock really struggles to keep up. I managed to watch three movies on the flight over. I-Robot and Collateral – which were better than I expected and Troy which was as ridiculous as I expected. Some of us had planned to get a days skiing in before the this week kicked off, unfortunately it hasn’t begun to snow yet. Bet it starts the week after I’ve gone back to blighty. Whenever I come over I’ve got into the habit of renting a car rather than depend on taxis and the non existent public transport system. Avis is the corporate rental company of choice and so it’s either a Ford or something from GM, but I can’t understand why a Ford Explorer is $140 less for the week than a Pontiac Vibe which is about half the size. As there was five of us with luggage the Vibe really wasn’t going to cut it but the Explorer, which is bigger than some houses I’ve lived in, made more sense. It is sadly drives like a house too. Speaking of silly cars I saw a Cadillac Escalade parked outside the hotel, not unusual in this country but it had 24”, yes 2 foot, chrome alloy wheels with very low profile tyres. Bling, bling to the max, but sadly no spinners. And speaking of chrome alloys they are very popular here and every other car has them on, the chromes on my old PT Cruiser don’t seem so daft now. Parked behind it was a new two tone coloured Chrysler 300 which looked interesting and yep it had chrome wheels too. But what does surprise me about cars in the US at the moment is the price, the new Ford Mustang GT which looks very smart tops out at about $26,000. So for about £14000 you can buy a 4.6 litre monster GT for which in the UK you’d be lucky to get a decent spec Ford Focus. On my last trip in the summer I saw my first baseball game and loved it. Tomorrow it’s the turn of the Seattle Supersonics to show me what’s so great about basketball; I’ll let you know if they do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home