Wednesday, February 11, 2004

Not surprisingly I’ve had an Xbox for sometime and despite it’s size and questionable styling I rate it, but I would say that wouldn’t I? But until now I hadn’t realised how good it was until last night when I wirelessly plugged it in to the DSL modem and played on line for the first time. I’d been part of the Xbox Live! beta programme but the physical distance between my modem and the Xbox meant that running an Ethernet cable from one end of the house to the other a no no. Personally I didn’t have a problem with gaffer taping a cable to the carpet and running it down the stairs, but for some odd reason Mrs C did. Weird huh? However the purchase of a MN-740 Wireless Adaptor means I can connect to Xbox Live! without offering cables for the dog to chew her way through; The daft thing is that it’s not available in the UK and had to be acquired from the US, and I had to pop to Argos for a 12V multi voltage adaptor. An alternative is the top notch Linksys Wireless Game Adaptor, but the MN-740 I reckon is more discreet. As I was pressed for time I tried Crimson Skies and joined a 16 plane dogfight. Most excellent especially with the voice integration, although having a bunch of people shouting abuse at each other in North American accents does grate after a while. Where the voice stuff really shines is with team based games like Rainbow 6, Counterstrike and Ghost Recon. Just need someone to do a version of Mario Kart: Double Dash for XBox. Unlikely I know but who have ever thought you’d see Sonic on XBox.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home